Foil Window Flange
X-RAY POSITRON WINDOW
Window metals made into a thin foil can be gripped by the Foil-Window Flange (FWF) . The pressure differential to each side of the foil allows the FWF to grip the foil into a drum-like tensioned head made of thin foil trapped between the FWF and a CF flange and copper gasket.
Atlas applies this technology to make Foil Window Flange. When connect to a vacuum conduit the FWF isolates two vacuum regimes. The foils are low cost and replaceable.
ISOLATE DIFFERENT VACUUM REGIMES: FWF can be used to prevent down-stream failures to isolate up-steam different vacuum regimes (i.e. Extreme High Vacuum XHV from High Vacuum HV).
Foil window flange enables users to determine minimum thickness through experimentation inexpensively. Brazed windows discourage achieving minimum thicknesses because of the risk and cost of trial and error.
- Quick and inexpensive replacement on site
- Eliminates the need for a fixed brazed assembly
- Retrofits with standard CF flanges, Zero Length Reducers and ISO flanges
- Alternative to beryllium
- Transmission efficiencies determined by user
- Vacuum may be applied in either direction
Our growing list of customers taking advantage of the foil window flange include CERN, Notre Dame, Fermi Labs and more
SCIENTIFIC PAPERS (About foil stopping power and performance)
- Stopping Power and Scattering Angle Calculations of Charged Particle Beams through Thin Foils, A. Nassiri, ANL March 1991
- DESIGN OF HIGH PERFORMANCE SOFT X-RAY WINDOWS, Raymond T. Perkins. David D. Allred, Larry V. Knight, Department of Physics and Astronomy and Center for X-ray Imaging, Brigham Your University, Provo, Utah 84602, James M. Thorne, Department of Chemistry and Center for X-ray Imaging, Brigham Your University, Provo, Utah 84602
Foil Materials Available:
- Titanium Grade 2
- Titanium Grade 4
Thicknesses: 25µm, 50µm
ZERO LENGTH REDUCER (ZLR)
FWF Are available for most ZLR standard sizes – 10” to 6” shown below
FWF are available to fit most ISO flanges
|Size||Bore||Holes||Hole Diameter||Thickness||Part #||Hardware||Files||Actions|
|2.75"||1.420" (31.5)||6||.265" (6.7)||0.50" (12.7)||FWFSS-0275||Show||
|1.33"||0.50" (12.7)||6||.172" (4.4)||.350" (7.2)||FWFSS-0133||Show||
|3.38"||1.938" (49.2)||8||.332" (8.4)||.687" (17.4)||FWFSS-0337||Show||
|4.50"||2.438" (61.9)||8||.332" (8.4)||.687" (17.4)||FWFSS-0450||Show||
|6.00"||3.910" (99.3)||16||.332" (8.4)||.781" (19.8)||FWFSS-0600||Show||
|8.00"||5.875" (49.2)||20||.332" (8.4)||.875" (22.2)||FWFSS-0800||Show||